Friday, December 14, 2012

Native Candy Bowls

With the holidays almost here, I realized it's time for me to take a break from my studies and  get busy on gifts.  As usual, for the office I wanted to do something a bit different for my colleagues.  I wasn't sure what until it dawned on me, I had my ceiling fans changed and I had been holding on to the globes.  







There were two different types of globes.  After some thought I decided to go with candy bowls with a native Bahamian flair.

I first based coated with several coats of gesso.



I then proceeded with different color variations.  I used metallic paint on some, others I used silver/gold leafing and I experimented with chalk paint on another (haven't completed yet).  I then used coconut fiber to seal the bottom - great way to add that native flair!  I'm doing 10 in total, but I've only completed 5 so far.  Here are the pictures.


Bronze & Hunter Green Candy Bowl with Gold Leafing
















Turquoise Candy Bowl with Gold Leafing




















Blue Candy Bowl with Silver Leafing

















Bronze, Pink & Blue Candy Bowl with Silver Leafing















Purple Candy Bowl with Variegated Leafing




















Each is a "one of a kind" and I'm sure will be appreciated.  I'll post the other 5 once I've completed them.  So until then LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

5 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Oh wow! Wish I was one of your co-workers!! They'll love them! I don't know how you came up with all of these different finishes..but each one is lovely and unique! They'll love them!

Anonymous said...

You even work with lampshades. You rock, girl! I will say, I have always thought the milk glass lampshades were so pretty, but limited myself to what could be done with the hole, hmmm.

fiona anderson said...

They're great Sherry, the silver and gold leaf is so effective, your work colleagues are going to be thrilled with these.

ღ Jans Life According To Milo ღ said...

Great bowls Sherry! You are so great at creating unique, gorgeous items. : ).. Love checking in on your blog!

Rhissanna said...

Oh, Sherry! The purple and gold one if gorgeous! It looks like carnival glass, or fancy 19th century art glass. What a lovely effect! I love what you do with glass shades.