Sunday, October 14, 2012

Bathroom redo

I've started working on my spare bathroom to get it together before the holidays.  Nothing fancy because I don't have the funds ;-) just some nice clean lines.  Presently the wall tile is soft yellow & beige; the soap dish & towel racks are yellow; and the walls were sponge painted an apple green.










This is what you don't see


      Cracked tile









Soap on the ceiling - when my son was much younger he swore he didn't know how it got up there.






Rust forming at bottom of tub




Here's what I want to do:
  • Paint the wall
  • Paint the wall tiles
  • Paint the vanity
  • Frame the mirror
  • Put caulking at base of tub
  • Change the faucets & lighting fixture
  • Scrape soap off the ceiling
  • Change window treatment and accessories


I decided to keep the walls green but went with September Song, a very light green and for the tiles I decided on Glacier Ridge a creamy white.



I purchased a gallon of September Song for the walls, but for the tiles I decided on making homemade chalk paint ("HCP") so I only purchased a quart of Glacier Ridge.


I painted the tiles with 2 coats of HCP.  It's kinda humid over here so I gave it two days to dry completely and then waxed it with minwax finishing paste wax.  The hardest part was waxing the tiles, the tiles are white and the wax is white which made it difficult to see what areas were or weren't waxed, however, I'm happy with the end product.  Simple, clean and refreshing!




tiles painted white with homemade chalk paint



walls light green/tiles painted white with homemade chalk paint



Tiles painted white with homemade chalk paint


The towel rack, soap dish, toothbrush holder were all painted


tiles painted white with homemade chalk paint





tiles painted white with homemade chalk paint






I caulked all of the cracks before painting

    Before
cracked ceramic tile






   After



Complete
  • Paint the wall
  • Paint the wall tiles
  • Paint the vanity
  • Frame the mirror
  • Put caulking at base of tub
  • Change the faucets & lighting fixture
  • Scrape soap off ceiling
  • Change window treatment & accessories
I'm working on my vanity now, however, it's so humid here, it's taking forever for the paint to dry.  So until next time LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are being a very busy girl!!!

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Wow, that looks great! I didn't know you could paint tile with chalk paint, although I use it for lots of other projects. You gave me hope for my wreck of a bathroom! Give yourself a pat on the back, awesome job!

JoKnows said...

Where do you get your energy...it is looking good and I can`t wait to see the end result. :)

fiona anderson said...

It's looking amazing so far - the tiles look so good Sherry. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the transformation !

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

WOW! What you have done so far makes a HUGE difference. I am really impressed. I love home improvement projects. I can't wait to see the rest of your bathroom as you continue to check things off of your list.

Anonymous said...

HI Sherry! Oh, your bathroom is going to look wonderful. I'm with JoKnows - where do you get all of your energy? You must take some super duper vitamins! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Help! Mama Remote... said...

WOW!!!Love what you're doing and you are inspiring me with the tiles. We have yellow tiles and some mitch matched white because my daughter slipped in the tub and broke the soap dish. I bathroom needs a severe overhaul. Can't wait to see your finished results.

Brandi said...

Such a huge difference already! I love the changes you made.

Unknown said...

I can always depend on you to come through on seemingly an impossibility Sherry! Great job so far...waiting to see that list finished! Love It!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Wow you are the third blogger that I read painted their tile! Two kitchens and now a bathroom! It looks so great. What a wonderful transformation. Can't wait to see the rest!
Blessings,
Susie

Lynn Wood said...

I didn't know you could paint tile but it looks amazing! I love a good makeover and can't wait to see you through!

~Lynn

Myric said...

That must be pretty exciting! Looks like you are having fun doing your bathroom make-over! So anxious to see when it's finished

xo
Myric

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Sherry,

Your bathroom is looking so good! I tried a few weeks ago to paint my tile in my powder room with AS chalk paint. I did not get a good bond and am now scraping it off. Maybe I need to use Minwax paste wax.

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

When I initially started using my homemade chalk paint I used a nylon brush, like you, the paint wasn't sticking to the tile. I then tried with a chip brush (those cheap .50 brushes). Amazingly the paint stayed on. Give it a shot and see what happens, I would love to hear about your results. Good luck and thanks so much for visiting and leaving your lovely comments

Unknown said...

amazing work
http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

Patty said...

Hi Sherry,
I have missed you and wanted to say hi. I remember you saying you might not be able to write much but I can't remember why. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! Patty

Glass Installation Bronx said...

Your gonna be busy for weeks! None the less, god bless and good luck. Keep us updated!

-Bronx Shower Doors